How to spend August in YMM
August is the Sunday of summer.
You can feel the creeping of more responsibility as each day passes and we move closer to September.
September means the kids are back to school, the weather gets cooler and the hours of daylight shrink.
We are not wishing summer away, so we’ve come up with a list of things you can do to enjoy August in our region.
- Float down the Clearwater River. If you haven’t done it, it’s a must! Grab some reliable floaties and head to the Tom Weber Park & Boat Launch in Waterways.
- Wood Bison Gateway & the Matcheetawin Discovery Trails. About 27 kilometers north of Fort McMurray just before the stone bison sculptures! Make sure you have bug spray and be aware of wildlife.
- Spend an afternoon at the Oil Sands Discovery Centre. You can learn how bitumen is extracted from oil sand and even feel what it is like to drive a haul truck.
- Have a picnic at Snye Park.
- Spend the day at Gregoire Lake!
- Climb, zip and swing at Vista Ridge’s Aerial Park– fun for all ages! Pre-booking is required.
- Hit the links. Fort McMurray has four golf courses!
- Paddle around the Snye. Need to rent the gear to do so? Check out Beyond Adventures for rentals!How to spend August in YMM
- Test your luck at the newly renovated Rivers Casino & Entertainment Centre.
- Take in a Fort McMurray Giants game as they start their first ever play-off run!
For live entertainment and more activities around town check out On Stage with Mike Jones
We know this list barely cracks all that Fort McMurray has to offer but we hope it inspires you to explore what we have right in our own backyard.